Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Another day another Kolam

On my last trip home my sister's help used to come early in the morning, wash the entrance of the home and make a beautiful 'Kolam'; a geometrical drawing composed of loops drawn around a grid on the floor. I would wake up early to watch her work and one day asked her in my broken Tamil/ sign language if I could take photos of her working.

She would come, clean the previous day's kolam, put dots to make a grid with chalk powder and make a stunning design all in a span of five to ten minutes. While drawing she wouldn't stand up or take her hand off the task of creating the intricate design.

Everyday millions of Hindu women in the South of India make Kolams in front of their homes to bestow prosperity and ward off evil.

I just love the various designs these ladies came up with, its not like they've been to art school or anything. Its amazing when for festivals they make designs on the floor with flower petals and light candles around it.

I also love this lady's bright saree and the bright plastic bucket is so cheerful. Everyday she would come bright and early smelling of the fresh flowers in her hair, these pictures don't do justice to the women you see on the streets in India.

I hope you enjoy these photos and have had a wonderful week.














9 comments:

Vix said...

I've only known it as ragoli so thanks for introducing kolam to my vocabulary. I love seeing this in Kerala and Tamil Nadu, I'm rarely up early enough to witness it being done, though!
What a joyous smile your sister's help has and such a brilliant sari, too. You're right, the women we see on the streets of India always look incredible, everything is so bland and grey when I return to the UK. xxx

Flora Cruft said...

She has the loveliest smile! Beautiful images, you're a fabulous photographer!

As you're a cat lover you might enjoy my fairy tale at my baking blog, where my kitty is the star of the show: www.idlebakes.blogspot.co.uk

Keit said...

Wow, how can you even draw that? It looks complicated O_o Kudos to that woman! :)

Maureen said...

How lovely, I'm thinking I might do something similar it is so charming.

Jenna Opsahl said...

Wow this is so magical. I had never heard of this, and I am so glad I have now. Beautiful beautiful photos.

scarlettandgiselle.blogspot.com

BellaBean Vintage said...

Just linked in from Vix - gorgeous photos!

Krista said...

I know very little about Indian culture but I adore this practice. This gal is as pretty as the design she made and now I want to start this at home.
Xxoo

his_girl_friday said...

Beautiful post! This is so interesting and new to me!

foxystuff said...

I m sure u will b happy to know that Kannamma is happy....very happy about all this!!!!!