Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Under paid labour and summer whites

One of my favourite blogger friends posted this the other day and I couldn't agree with her more. It expresses everything I think about global brands exploiting desperate people in poorer countries and I hope we as consumers show some sympathy for the people literally killing themselves so our tee-shirts cost five dollars less.

I know the whole issue isn't as simple as that but you know what? It kinda is. These people are asking for their monthly salaries to be a hundred dollars and their work conditions to be a bit more humane. Is that too much? And to be honest our buying habits will make these clothes producing juggernauts sit up and take notice if we choose to buy less and less of their inhumane-ly produced, over-priced must-haves!

To people who say style blogs are frivolous and one should do better things with their time I have something to say. Yes, I know that this blog isn't helping solve issues of world hunger and poverty and believe me I wish I could do something to help. But I do think in a sea of blogs that claim that the latest Phillip Lim is a must have and one's minimalistic wardrobe is incomplete without Wang, sitting in a little virtual corner with people who wear vintage and thrifted items makes the world a fun place.

I know I have a long way to go before my materialistic tendencies are fully curbed but being part of a bunch of women who have their own style identity makes me happy. So yes, I do believe sharing one's point of view is important even if the topic of discussion is frivolous according to some. And I can't wait to share more and interact with these positive women who keep re-inforcing the joys of thrifted treasures and DIY delights.

Okay mini-rant-type monologue over and on to clothes that haven't contributed to the exploitation of people. To me nothing says spring summer like white linens & cottons with splashes of colour and heaps of jewellery. Hope everyone's had a wonderful start to the week.

P.S. Please ignore the unsightly scabs on my knee, tumbling off the bike and wearing shorts don't go hand in hand in the unblemished knee department.












Shorts: Tailored in Thailand, Shirt and Bag: Thrifted, Jewellery: India


5 comments:

Keit said...

Yay, I'm so happy you liked my post and honored that you shared it on your blog ^_^
I think that fashion is a hobby just like any other, and while most people pay a lot more money for their hobbies, we are the ones who get treated like shallow beings. I don't think that's fair.
I love this laid back look of yours, and man, that must have been a painful fall :D

Project Curve said...

"the latest Phillip Lim is a must have and one's minimalistic wardrobe is incomplete without Wang," hah! this cracks me up and makes me raise my eyebrows every time! in what world do people live in where such claims do not sound phony in their own heads! i get the joy of owning a unique designer piece if they are into into the designer. i do because i know i would love to own a yohji yamamoto or kallol datta some day. but that does not justify such sentiments where one has to be a slave to $1000 basic tees and shit like that to feel stylish.
i haven't had the time to read keit's post yet but it's waiting in my feed.
scabs and no scabs it all makes you perfect. stay this way. i will believe in good things.

Vix said...

I tend not to follow fashion blogs for that very reason. With Brits it's Primark, they seem to think the cheapness justifies the purchase and care more for animals than their fellow humans.
Looking gorgeous and very enviable jewellery. Sorry not to comment more often, I generally comment via Bloglovin' but your blog won't allow comments if I'm logged in. xxx

Becky said...

Fashion is fun, but not at the costs of others well-being. Fair trade & living wages for everyone.

Flora Cruft said...

I totally agree with you about the issue of constant consumerism, the sickening unpaid labour behind 'must have' cheap fashion.
You look lovely in white, sorry to hear about that knee, looks painful you poor thing!